Monday, February 24, 2014

Response on Native Tales:

From the get go I understood that this piece was written awhile back, since he openly states " White people might consider them inanimate objects, but to the Indian, they are enmeshed in the web of the universe, pulsating with life and potent with medicine." ( Ortiz, pg.2)  I found that offensive since I can think of many cases where I witnessed "white people" practicing homeopathic medicine, and finding serenity within nature. This statement directly took me back to the image of Pocahontas, it might seem odd but this movie attempted to do the same thing. Make the white people look like they only cared about industry and materialism, while destroying nature. Personally, I love nature and find mystical things to be quite intriguing.

   I know that there is more to this article than that but I thought I would point out what bothered me. Other than that I am excited to go more in depth with these tales. It was interesting to note that Spiderman, Coyote, Veeho, Rabbit all share a common theme. They embodied a particular theme of a tribe.
To me that is very interesting.

2 comments:

  1. Tammy, I

    I didn't realize it at first but now that you mention it, I found it offensive as well when the term "white people" was used. I agree that nature can be found amazing to anyone no matter what race you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also didn't realize while i was reading the text until you mentioned that you found it offensive when the term "white people" was used, i guess its because no matter what race you are mother nature is beautiful to everyone.

    ReplyDelete